30 pounds down

30 pounds down
Size 16--Size 8

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Adventures in Intermittent Fasting

I am absolutely starving as I write this post!!!! Today is day two in my experiment with intermittent fasting (IF). I was encouraged by a two pound decrease this morning when I weighed myself. Seems recently that the scale has only gone up up up....I'm sure it's not water weight loss as I've been drinking a bunch to keep my belly full. The mornings are not bad. This morning I had a little tummy rumble when I inadvertently licked the peanut butter spoon while fixing my Body by Vi shake for latter consumption. I suspect that my body is already trained to delay food consumption in the mornings as years of taking thyroid medicine will do that. (Can't have food in belly with that medicine) Evenings are killer!!!! I am so used to eating later (7 p.m. some nights) and maybe even having an ice cream snack (....or chips n'crack). Tonight's dinner was at 5:30. The good news is that both boys like pork chops on the grill now. The bad news is that my pork chop and veggies have worn off. So what is IF? It is not a diet, but a timing of eating. There are many variations on the theme including skipping meals, going days without meals, but I have chosen a daily fast of 14-16 hours (includes bed time). One consumes the normal allotment of protein, carbs, etc in a smaller window of 6 to 8 hours. In my case, I'm having a Body By Vi shake (almond milk and peanut butter) at 11 a.m., which is one hour prior to my CrossFit class. I then have a big meal after my work out, along with some healthy afternoon snacks. I then have an early dinner with my boys. Why? some have suggested that frequent meals can trigger fat production, especially if the meals are of high glycemic carbs. I have yet to see any scientific evidence that supports either small, frequent meals (the long time suggestion for weight loss) or fasting. I don't think anybody really knows the answer...All I know is that what I have been doing isn't working, so it's time to try something new. I'll probably give it a month and then reevaluate. Anybody out there with IF experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment