30 pounds down

30 pounds down
Size 16--Size 8

Monday, November 19, 2012

I've got work to do!!!!

After CrossFit on Friday, I took a look at body measurements. There are several measurements to take into consideration. According to the hand-held instrument, my body fat percentage is 28.8%. This is "high" according to the machine, and "Over Fat" according to the nutrition hand-out. I will need to go down several percentage points before I fall into the 21-24% "healthy" range. Next, I took a look at waist and hip measurements: my waist is 34" and my hips are 39". According to the nutrition hand-out, anything over a 33.8" waist is "obese". According to Dr. Oz, one of the 5 numbers you need to pay attention to is your waist measurement. Anything 35" and over for a female increases risk for chronic disease (i.e. diabetes). I am getting near that 35" mark!!!! (FYI Dr. Oz number for men is 40" waist). The handout suggests that a 26" waist for a female is ideal, and Dr. Oz suggests a 32.5" waist. Either way, I am currently not in a good category!!!! My waist-to-hip ratio is 0.86. this is the apple vs. pear shape. Those who are "apple" shaped tend to carry their weight in the abdomen and this increases risk for coronary heart disease, high blood pressure and diabetes. According to the hand-out, I am on the cusp between "average" and "at risk", whereas sources on the internet clearly put me in the "high risk" category. Finally, I took a look at my BMI, which is 25.23. A BMI between 25 and 29.9 is considered "overweight". Thankfully, I am towards the bottom of this one. Considering all of this, I think my first goal will be to lose one inch off of my waist, since my waist-to-hip ratio seems to be the most serious measurement of health status. Loosing an inch will drop me into the "moderate" risk category in the waist-to-hip ratio. I'm sure if I lose an inch off of my waist, my body fat % my decrease, too. Surely an inch of belly fat weighs something?????? I'm guessing maybe my weight will drop too? Maybe loosing that inch will drop my into the "normal" weight category. Setting a goal to lose an inch off my waist at the start of Thanksgiving week...ROTFLMBO Well, We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment