30 pounds down

30 pounds down
Size 16--Size 8

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I haven't left you, I've been on vacation....$45/day skiing

It's been awhile since I've blogged, just thought I'd fill you in on my vacation. I took myself and my oldest son skiing for 3 days. I rat-holed some cash over a 2 month period (mainly by not eating out) and managed to save about $550. With the exception of gasoline, I paid cash for everything and had a little money left-over. The $550 covered lodging for 4 nights, food, 3 days of skiing (lift tickets), equipment rental, and 2 days of ski school for my son. He did not ski one of the days.
How did I do it? I vacationed with my aunts/uncles who are fellow tightwads :-) We rented a house vs a hotel, which allowed us to prepare all meals instead of eating out. We carpooled to the ski resort. We didn't buy snacks on-site, but instead packed our own. Some lift tickets were purchased at a discount.
The total vacation time was 5 days, though 2 of the days were driving. Cost per person per vacation day $45. I *think* I filled up 5 times @ approximately $22 per tank. Total travel cost $110. I still had 2 empty seats in my car. I could have reduced my costs further if I would have had a friend or two join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment